Monday, November 21, 2011

275- Family Dinner


Sunday night is family dinner night at our house.  The bf deluxe works a 7-3ish shift, so I get to spend all day at home cleaning, preparing for the week, and making a big good ole' fashioned Sunday dinner.  Sunday dinners usually mean some sort of large meat chunk slow cooked to perfection, served with some sort of carbohydrate (aka, vegetable) in the form of steamed, roasted, salad, or pickled.  
 
Did you notice what I did right there?  I used the "C" word.  I'm going to start working it back into my vocabulary, because I realize I've been sort of misleading when I say "I don't eat carbs."  I DO eat carbs (lots of them, in fact), I just eat them in vegetable and fruit form instead of bread/grain form.  Besides, I think the more times I can say I DO eat something, the better.  I digress, the sematics surrounding how I present what I eat is not the point or inspiration for this post.  Just a sidenote.
 
ANYWAY...last night, I didn't really prepare for Sunday dinner.  I sort of forgot about it until about 3pm, and then was like, oh, crap!  All my big chunks of meat are frozen!  I scrounged around in the fridge- it was pretty slim pickings since everything in there was either a) reserved for Thanksgiving, or b) not in there like normal.  Luckily, we almost always keep a pound of organic ground beef on hand in the fridge for quick emergency meals.  I wasn't feeling tacos, and definitely didn't think burgers were Sunday dinner worthy, and then, staring at the rest of the fridge contents- it hit me!  Meatloaf!  I haven't made meatloaf in a long time.  So I scoured a few of my favorite Paleo recipe sites (Everyday Paleo and Health-Bent) and found that in both of their meatloaf recipes, they used almond flour.  I hadn't tried that, previously I just used egg and ground flax seed as my binder.  What happened next was quite possibly the best paleo meatloaf creation of all man-kind.  I know this because of how much the bf deluxe ate.  Holy crap, when he likes something, he is a bottomless pit.
 
I learned long ago, long before my Paleo days that good meatloaf (and good hamburgers) need a mix of ground beef and ground pork sausage.  No joke.  In fact, the bf deluxe and I have a long standing fight (not really a fight, but just and incident that he won't drop 6 years later) involving meatloaf, specifically the best meatloaf I've ever had in my life that he made one night, and it used the ground beef/pork combo.  The meatloaf was SO good, I not only ate a ridiculous amount that night at dinner, I took ALL the leftovers the next day to work.  I didn't leave any of the leftovers (and there was A LOT leftover) for the bf to make a sandwich the next day, and that apparently is grounds to never let me forget it.  I admit, it was not my finest moment, taking all that meatloaf to work with me the next morning while the bf innocently slept and then consuming it selfishly because it was THAT good.  He would have been ok if I had shared it with my co-workers, but he knew me too well, and knew that I ate it all myself.  And now I hear about it at least once a month.  Six years later.  Again, I digress.  I'm getting to my point (the recipe) next, I promise!
 
Recipe for the best ever Paleo Meatloaf:
1 pound organic and/or grass fed ground beef
1 pound bulk natural pork sausage
1/2 large white onion (finely diced)
2 eggs
1 cup almond flour
1/4c. tomato paste
1 heaping tsp. lemon zest
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
 
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Dump all ingredients into large mixing bowl.  Mix with hands until all ingredients are entirely encorporated and your hands go numb.  Divide into 2 9" cake pans (I prefer shallow discs of meat to the traditional bread pan loaf) so, I guess it really should be called "meatcake."  Whatever.   Cook until shruken and done-looking (mine took 30 minutes?).  Serve with roasted yams, or broccoli, or cauliflower, or salad, or whatever you want.  Try not to eat it all, because everyone loves leftover meatloaf and your significant other won't believe you when you lie and say you shared it with co-workers.  Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment