Monday, November 28, 2011

268- Say Grace


Perhaps in honor of Thanksgiving time, new gym decided to put up "Grace" as the workout of the day.  Grace is 30 clean and jerks for time- but these weren't Crossfit clean and jerks, these were Olympic clean and jerks- the kind where you do a full squat.  I've never been lucky enough to partake in Grace, but I love oly lifts, so I was pretty excited about this workout.  All I have to do is move weight from the ground to overhead 30 times?  No running?  No pull-ups?  No burpees?  Awesome!
Ok, well, whoever says that "lifting weights is not cardio" is full of crap.  When I thought that or even said that out loud as recently as 2 years ago while doing bicep curls and quarter squats, I had no idea what I was talking about.  That is also when I thought cardio was necessary for fat loss, and didn't wreck havoc on your body.  HA!  Little did I know.  After performing 10 full squat clean and jerks as fast as I could muster, I thought I was going to die.  Sweat was pouring off my brow, and my oxygen?  Where had it gone?  I still had 20 more of these beastly moves to do, and the clock was ticking fast.  My stomach was turning, so I tried to settle into a rhythm of just getting them over with.  I might as well have been doing 100 burpees, cause I felt the same. 
Eight minutes to do 30 squat cleans at 75#?  I never would have predicted that- I would have thought 5 minutes, maybe.  I'm so glad I didn't go with the recommended weight of 95#, while I'm sure I could do it, I would have been there all night!  

Example of a squat clean and jerk:

No comments:

Post a Comment