Friday, September 2, 2011

355- Taste Test

Over the past year or so, I found that recipe's under the "paleo" label are hit and miss. Today while browsing one of my favorite recipe blogs (nom nom paleo) I was inspired to make her asian cauliflower fried "rice." I thought it would be a great opportunity to use some of my freshly layed eggs, green onions growing in the garden, and some left overs I had in the fridge. Plus, I love cauliflower.

I stopped by the store on the way home, picked up some coconut aminos- I'll be honest, I had to Google it to see what aisle to even begin looking for it on. Once I saw the bottle, I knew it was with the vinegar/mustard/condiment stuff. Essentially, someone found a way to make a dead-ringer for soy sauce out of coconut. They should win some sort of Noble award. The stuff is fermented, and therefore "fizzy." The bottle I had in my cart ended up fizzling and spilling a few drops onto other stuff. The kid bagging my groceries insisted on getting me another bottle that wasn't leaking. Of course, he ran the whole way back with the bottle in hand, which is basically like running with a warm can of coke. The bottle he gave me leaked worse then the first. Oh, well.

When I got home, I searched the counter for the 4 eggs that had been layed in the past 2 days. They were no where to be found. The bf deluxe had taken them to work (show off)! Grrr. So, I walked out back to check and see if there were any eggs. Sure enough, there was one gleaming, perfect, white egg. I picked 3 huge green onions from the garden, and went inside to start chopping and prepping for the "rice."

When pulsing the cauliflower in the food processor, I now realize I made a fateful decision that won't be made again. I only put in 1/2 of the head because I figured, if this recipe sucked, I could use the other 1/2 to make something good. I prepared the fried rice as directed, but since I only had one egg, I just scrambled it in while the stuff was cooking instead of cooking the eggs separate and adding in later. I now see why people make such a big deal over cage-free, grass fed, free range eggs. The shell was thick. It took me 2 tries to crack it. The yolk was nearly orange, and when I scrambled it, the mixture was a vibrant yellow like I have never seen eggs make before. It was beautiful.

The "rice" dish was fantastic. I will definitely be making it again as its a great way to incorporate our eggs into a meal that I will eat, the coconut aminos did an amazing soy sauce impression, and the fresh green onions brought it all together. Next time, I'm using the whole cauliflower head!

In one fell swoop I tasted coconut aminos for the first time, tasted my first home raised hen egg, and tried a kick ass paleo recipe that didn't suck!

No comments:

Post a Comment