Sunday, December 11, 2011

255- Party Re-Cap

My dad used to have a saying about hosting events (well, actually he used it to describe just about everything, but whatever): "Whole lot of work for too little pleasure."  Luckily, I don't share his sentiments on social events.  I like them, so they are usually worth the time I put into them.  I also reach a point where I know I've done all I can do before the event and cut any losses so I'm actually able to enjoy myself.  There is no point killing myself trying to make everything perfect and then being too exhausted to enjoy the fun part, the party.


I spent Friday evening baking desserts so we'd have nice assortment.  The smells were amazing, and it really took all I had to not eat a fresh peanut butter cookie from the oven, and take a few licks of brownie batter.  But I stayed strong.  I woke up early on Saturday to run errands and begin preparing all the other eats.  The bf deluxe handled his assignments in less then an hour, and headed off to work.  I was left with cleaning, cooking, and setting everything up.  Not to mention getting myself ready and 1,000 other little things that came up in between (cleaning the stovetop? really?).  I kept thinking I was doing ok on time, but before I knew it, it was 5pm, I hadn't eaten a thing since 8am, I was still in my sweats, I hadn't done any house cleaning, and food was still being prepared.  


Somehow, after a flurry of panic mode, I got it together and at least had my dress on when guests started arriving (but not my shoes!).  Everyone was very complimentary of the spread, and I was free to begin enjoying myself.  I consumed many drinks, but was able to stick to the meat/cheese/veggie/corn chip options.  I made sure everyone knew I didn't want any leftovers hanging around, especially any desserts.


The night progressed in typical party fashion, there were drinking games, athletic competitions (wall sit among others), white elephant gift exchange, and general sillyness.  It was a good time.  Just like I hoped, all the food disappeared, and the remaining few goodies that were left the bf deluxe took to work.  


I woke up very early this morning thanks to the cat turning on the alarm clock radio, and had a pretty good headache.  I spent a few minutes cleaning up, chugged some water, and before I knew it I was feeling ok.  Looking back over the evening, its pretty easy to see how consuming too much alcohol is not a good thing for me and my eating goals.  It would have been very easy for me to talk myself into some desserts.  Hangover days are notorious days for me to give myself a green light to eat whatever is easy and tasty.  Today I'm using the hangover day as a day of repair, and making sure my choices are top notch so I can heal.  I'm beginning to see now why I challenged myself to one year.  Old habits die hard and the more distance I can put between myself and those old ways, the better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment