Sunday, October 23, 2011

304- I Can't Do It Alone


Maybe one of the best things I ever did for myself and for my goals of health is to ask for help.  I'm not a person that likes to ask for help.  I've worked hard to be self-sufficient, and always saw asking for help as a sign of weakness.  It wasn't until I realized that I was in way over my head and the battle I was facing with my body was not one I could wage alone that I started asking for help.  I started asking friends to stop making plans to go out to eat places with me.  I started asking people to do active things with me.  And now that I'm with my bf-deluxe of 6+ years, he helps me more then I give him credit for. 
 
Many nights he stays up to prepare my breakfast and/or lunch for the next day if he notices there are no leftovers because he knows how important it is for me to have something prepared (no plan=bad choices).  He doesn't leave foods I'm choosing to avoid laying around the house (like candy bars and cakes or pies), and generally follows the same eating as me when he is with me.  When he shops by himself, he religiously reads food labels and doesn't buy things that are off limits.  He genuinely makes an effort to think of creative meals for me so that I don't get bored. 
 
A regular gym/running outside plan wasn't working for me, so as I read up about CrossFit and saw that it was more of a group type thing, I was intrigued.  Now I get essentially personal training in a group that makes me fell accountable.  People actually notice if I'm not at the gym!  That NEVER happened to me at Golds, and for sure none of my neighbors came knocking on my door when they didn't see me jog by that day! 
 
I know now that having help is not a sign of weakness, but rather a sign of intelligence.

No comments:

Post a Comment