Friday, October 28, 2011

299- Worst Enemy

I used to seriously overestimate how much control I had over my body, and specifically my biochemistry.  I used to think that cravings were a flaw in myself, and that they were just the way I was.  I thought I knew everything there was to know about my body- what I was eating that was wrong for me, what the underlying causes for my cravings were, how much exercise I needed- etc.  I thought I knew this stuff because of years of trial and error.  Yet I was ridiculously overweight, and kept making the choices I thought were right, to no avail.


I know what you all are thinking- here comes another Paleo plug.  Well, yes and no.  Paleo taught me that I didn't know anything that I thought I knew about health and losing weigh.  It also created a problem in that I suddenly didn't know anything.  I started reading all the paleo information I could get my eyes on- Robb Wolf, Mark Sisson, Gary Taubes, Loren Cordain, just to name a few of the big players in the Paleo world.  I soon learned that everything I have been told up until that point regarding exercise, nutrition, health, and weight loss was severely misinformed, and in many cases downright wrong.    


I know people are going to believe what they believe.  I know everyone thinks they know best.  But its so frustrating when I read about people doing hours of cardio and wondering why they can't maintain the weight they lost by doing cardio.  I read about people restricting their fat, red meat, calories, etc. and still struggling.  Calories in, calories out, right?! 


We do not know the things that control us.  We can not say something doesn't trigger us to crave, or make us hold onto weight.  Worst of all, the majority of the time, we are our own worst enemies if we go on thinking that we know everything and don't do research or experiment with eliminating foods/changing the way we exercise/eating more fat etc.  Maybe the best advice someone could have given me before I discovered paleo was to just do the exact opposite of what I thought I knew.  


No comments:

Post a Comment