Monday, August 22, 2011

358- not perfect

After my blog post announcing my 365 day challenge with myself, I received a comment from a friend I haven't been able to get out of my head:

"For the diet--You need to do whatever you want to do but expecting perfection for yourself for a year--what if you make it 200 days and eat something with flour? Are you going to feel like shit because you messed up or are you going to feel proud of yourself because you made it 200 days?"

When I first read this, I thought, well, I don't consider giving up sugar and grains for one year as "perfection." I view it more as something that I NEED to do. As I tried to get across by liking my situation to an alcoholic. An alcoholic needs to give up drinking, forever. There is no giving up alcohol for a short amount of time, and then allowing an occasional drink after as if they would be cured of their ability to stop drinking in excess. Stopping the consumption of things that I can't control for one year will be the gateway to giving them up forever.

As for the second part of the comment, I didn't have an answer. I didn't know what I was going to do if I made it 200 days and then ate something with flour/sugar/whatever. Luckily I was faced with this cross roads before day 200, so I now have an answer.

The year starts over.

1 comment:

  1. People who are not in with the whole paleo thing may not be able to grasp that foods like that really are 'that bad'.

    While I cheat plenty, I def respect what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete