Friday, February 12, 2010

Strike While the Iron is Hot

So, I've come to the point in my evolution where I am borderline OBSESSED with other weigh loss/ get healthy blogs. I knew they were out there, but I hadn't searched for any, nor really read any before beginning my own. Recently, one of the blogs I do follow (because I know her, and she's the one that inspired me to start this) listed a bunch of blogs she follows. At first I felt unspecial. I knew going into this I would be one in a million, but now I was looking at hard evidence. I began clicking and checking out these blogs, and spent a good 2 full days at work doing nothing but reading (good thing my boss was gone). I mean, I would click on one blog, and THEY would list the blogs they follow, it was a Facebook-esk time sink...

One thing that blew me away is a distinct pattern that each blog contained. It goes something like this:
"Last Straw" post
"My Story" post
"How I'm Doing it" post
"Initial Weigh-in/Before Pic" post
"This is Hard" post
"What I've Learned" post
"First Weigh-in Success" post
"Oops" post
Etc, etc.

Most of all I was blown away that I unwillingly/unknowingly followed the EXACT pattern. Another thing that really creeped me out was how many of these bloggers owned a Wii Fit! I had to laugh. As I navigated through 10's and 20's and 30's of blogs, I saw many different styles. Most were unable to hold my attention longer then one post, and so I thought about what it takes to have a blog like this that people follow regularly. To hold someone's attention, I must do at least one of the following:
a) know them personally
b) be witty
c) have the exact thoughts the reader has at the moment
d) be successful

Out of all the journey blogs I've checked out over the past couple of days, the one that stands out the most for me, and one that I added to my "favorites" list is Jack Sh*t Gettin' Fit. This guy has a gift for witty writing, and he has been extremely successful. It seemed that every blog I clicked on had his page linked to theirs. Very inspiring.

Ok, back to me. I was in the shower last night, the shower is my #2 place for "great" thoughts (some form of exercise is #1). I was thinking about what I had eaten for the day (roughly 1150 calories), my run in the morning (made my net calories roughly 650), and about how after dinner, I wanted something sweet, so I had 6 chocolate chips. Then I thought to myself, "how is it that today, I'm able to stop after 6 chocolate chips?" I mean, I didn't have to stop at 6. According to my iPhone, I still had 800 calories available to eat. What makes this time different?

What makes this time different is that I'm finally ready. No one can tell you when you are ready to make a change this big, you can't even tell YOURSELF when you are ready to make this change. Just like everything else in life, it comes at the perfect time, but you don't realize it until much later. The shitty part is, you just have to keep trying, and floundering around, and failing, until one day it different. It's different and you can feel it in your bones, in your fingertips, in your mind, in all the fluids, and in the muscles in your body. Its the day/week/month/year that you have finally STOPPED failing, and you know the difference, deep down, you know. My advice to anyone that is still failing? Keep at it. One day it will stick, when you are truly ready, and no one, not even you knows when that will be.

I woke up today and put on a pair of pants that hadn't fit me well in over a year. I tried on a bra I bought months ago that didn't fit. It still had the tags on... I'm wearing it now, and its cute. I don't know how long the success is going to keep up, but I'm planning on riding it out all the way. I'm grabbing this bitch by the horns and showing all my haters that I can do this! I'm striking while the iron is hot, motivated by all that I've seen out there, and all that I've seen in myself. Yay!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the kind words about JSGF. The piece of advice I give bloggers trying to build an audience is to get out there and comment. And not just "way to go" or "good post"; really make an effort to bring something to the party.

    When I got started, I was posting two or three times a day. Somewhere along the line, I realized that people were backtracking me from the comments I was leaving on other sites. If you want people to come find you, the best way is to give them a good reason to.

    Good luck with your journey (and the blog). It can be somewhat of an addiction, but I also find it to be a lifeline to a more focused and successful weight-loss journey.

    Have a great weekend.

    Oh, and good post. Way to go! ;)

    ReplyDelete