Thursday, February 18, 2010

And....I'm Sick

Yeah, about 1/4 of the way into my flight home from Ontario, CA to Seattle, WA I instantly came down with a head cold. It was the strangest thing to happen, I thought it was allergies at first, but then, instant cold. I only get about one cold a year, so I'm due, but still, doesn't my body know I have a gym to go to and plan to stick too?

In my near 31 years, I've learned a lot about my body. Some of it I have to keep learning, but never the less, I feel pretty in-tune with myself. Normally, I can feel a cold coming on, and combat it with mass amounts of Airborne. In high school and college, I used to get a cold immediately after finals. It was like my bodies way of knowing it could finally relax. So, I'm thinking since I just had a BIG interview, my body says, "hey, time for a cold!" Fair enough, I pick this option over sniffling and sneezing DURING my interview!

So, the interview. I had half a day on Monday to explore the city my prospective job is in, and I was pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the town was clean, scenic, and had a nice vibe to it. The fact that it was 75 degrees perfect didn't hurt any either. I had dinner outside, on a patio, without a jacket on in February. I took as many pictures as I could for Dave. I wanted to make it an early night, since I still had some studying to do before my interview, and I wanted to straighten my hair (a 1.5 hour task).

Monday night, I straightened my hair, which only took 30 minutes, thanks to the zero humidity, and reviewed California noise regulations. I woke up on Tuesday nervous, but mostly calm. My mom and I had a quick breakfast at the hotel, and I went upstairs to get ready. I was excited to wear my suit, nylons, and heels and pretend for a day that I was a professional.

I headed over to the office at 8:30am, ready to face whatever they threw my way. I opened up the door, and a whoosh of clean, air-conditioned air washed over me. I walked over to the receptionist (THEY HAD A RECEPTIONIST!) and introduced myself. She told me to have a seat in the conference room (THEY HAD A CONFERENCE ROOM!) and Michelle would be right with me. The office was Michelle (company president) went over all I was going to do, and it was a full day. She apologized because she had a lunch meeting, and couldn't take me out as she planned. She led me to the station I would be working at, and gave me my first piece of the interview. She wanted me to fill out a "work plan" for a project, and gave me an e-mail from a client, with the details of the project. She gave me an example to follow. The example was 12 pages. She said, "I'll give you about an hour." Whaaaa???? I couldn't retype that whole thing in an hour, let alone make an entirely new one!? So, 2.5 hours later, I was still working on it, and she comes over and asks how I'm doing. I show her where I was at, and she said to just finish up, have lunch, and then gave me the next assignment.

A few minutes later, one of the girls in the office came over and said that they wanted to take me to lunch. I agreed, and had lunch with most of the office. One girl was out for the day, and one guy didn't want to join the rest of us for lunch since he brought his own. Everyone was easy to talk to, friendly, and it was not awkward at all.

After lunch, I went back to work on the assignments, and things started moving along better as I got into more interesting stuff. At the end of the day, Michelle had me go out and take a field noise measurement, to ensure I knew what I was doing. I got back from that portion of the interview at 5:15pm. All the girls had gone home, and Michelle was on a call, but still wanted to talk to me. I waited till 5:30 or so, and Michelle and her husband/business partner came over to talk to me. It was a relaxed conversation, in which we wrapped up the events of the day, she mentioned a CNN Money article that she and the company is featured in, spoke about the next step, and discussed good places for my mom to take me to dinner that night.

I left at 6pm. It was dark out! Whew. I drove back to the hotel, and my mom couldn't believe they kept me there that long. We went to one of the recommended spots, but forgetting it was Mardi Gras, had to wait FOREVER for a table/food/service. It was annoying, but couldn't disrupt the buzz I felt of nailing the interview. We got out of the restaurant at 10:30 pm.

So, I should be hearing from them in a week or two. Then the real fun begins!

I managed to get two workouts in in the three days I was there, and my eating was pretty good, considering I was away from home. I was so excited to get back into my routine today, and then I got sick. Needless to say I did not go to the gym this morning. Being sick makes me want to eat like crazy too, but I have to keep reminding myself of my goals. This blog is about my overall health, not just my weight. Being sick means a rest for my body, and an eventual boost to my immune system. If that isn't part of getting healthy, I don't know what is!

No comments:

Post a Comment