Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Rock the Lunchtime Walk

February is the month of the lunchtime walk. In addition to my morning gym visit, I will be taking a 30 minute walk at lunchtime. Thanks to El Nino, we have been having an unseasonable warm and dry winter. Getting out of the office for some fresh air really breaks up the day and clears my mind. A desk job is a hard obstacle for my body to overcome. I must spend as much time as possible moving, and build up the muscle mass in my body to make up for the nearly 8 hours a day I spend sitting.

For the past five weeks, I have tried to incorporate something new to my routine/lifestyle each week. I spent the month of January working up to a 45 minute cardio session, comprised of mostly the eliptical machine, followed by some running on the treadmill. Now that I am at 45 minutes, I will work on changing the composition of each workout, and shift to more running, less eliptical.

I think it is important to keep challenging my body, and shaking things up a bit so my muscles don't get bored. This means running at different paces, participating in sports/activities I don't normally do, weight training, and varying the lengths of my workouts. Who knows, maybe in a few months, the lunchtime walk will turn into a lunchtime run?

Another beautiful, dry February day here...is it lunchtime yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment