Monday, February 8, 2010

Bed Bugs

Last night, I did not sleep very well. I went to be at 10:00pm roughly, before my boyfriend, and lavishly enjoyed an empty bed to myself. Well, myself and the dog, but he curls into a small ball and is barely noticeable. Dave came into bed about 2 hours later and proceeded to be fidgety, in my half-sleep I was annoyed. I just wanted to be back in that comfortable spot, with no warm body touching me, or breathing on me.

Apparently I managed to fall asleep, because the next thing that woke me up was the distinct ZZzzzzTT of a large bug landing/falling somewhere close to my head, and definitely into my bed. I nodded off again, and was awoken by annoying itching/burning on my left arm instinctively I scratched, and felt BUG. Big BUG. I quickly grabbed comforter and placed it between me and the thing. My left arm continued to be irritated. It was hot, and I wasn't sure if it was from me scratching, or if I had some sort of bite. The worst images raced through my mind...spider, horsefly, spider. I threw the covers off and went to the bathroom to check it out. Nothing. No redness, no raised bump, just my head being crazy.

I still had to deal with the fact that there was a bug in the bed. I turned the light on, expecting that to wake up my boyfriend, which in turn, he would be irritated by my girlishness, and get the bug out of there. I pulled the covers back, reveling the bug...a big ugly beetle thing. I looked around for something to scoop it up with. The cat meowed, and I grabbed her and put her on the bed. She eats bugs all the time. I couldn't get her to focus on the bug. Now my boyfriend wakes up and rolls over onto the bug, and looks at me. "ROLL BACK OVER" I yell. He rolls over and looks at me like I'm nuts. I tell him there is a big bug in the bed, and he asks for his glasses. He extracts the bug, I inform him there is still a bug leg in the bed. He brushes the sheets off, reaches past me to turn the light off, and tells me to go back to sleep. Laying in the dark, adrenaline going, I say "my arm is burning." He says "its all in your head." I swear my arm still feels weird today.

All bug stress aside, I lost one pound today at my YMCA Monday morning weigh-in. Yay! Anytime that I don't maintain or gain is a good week. I had an awesome work out this morning, and am continuing to notice little changes in every thing I do. After 6 weeks, I really feel that this is becoming a way of life, one that I can actually live with. I don't feel like I'm in prison or depriving myself at all. Quite the opposite actually, I feel like I'm finally treating my body to a spa day. A spa day that is everyday, for the rest of my life.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the workout routine. There is a difference between "bed bugs" and having a bug in your bed. Bed bugs are not beetles, they're bed bugs. Adults are about the size and shape of an apple seed. If you don't have bed bugs, congratulations. If you had a beetle in your bed, that's much better than bed bugs. www.bedbugsnorthwest.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments, BBNW. I am aware that a beetle in my bed is different from "bed bugs," I was just hoping for a clever title to my adventure from the previous night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry I'm so late to getting to this.. but the bug story is funny. You're cute. :)

    And yay for a new way of life! How inspiring are you?! SO inspiring.. that's how! xo

    PS: I think we both know you knew the diff between a bed bug and a beetle.. and your title is just that - but good thing there are nice ppl like your first commenter there to help everyone out.. [Insert virtual eye roll here.. ahem]

    ReplyDelete