Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Just Wasn't Feelin' It

I woke up at 7am, like usual. I went to the bathroom and grabbed my clean gym clothes out of the dryer, like usual. I brushed my teeth, put on deodorant, and took the dog outside, like usual. I packed the same breakfast and lunch I pack everyday, grabbed clean clothes to change into after the gym, and drove my boyfriend to school, like usual. Auto-pilot got me to the underground parking facility at the Y, and I was instantly annoyed to see so many spots taken. Resolutioners are supposed to be gone, WTF? I thought about just driving to work. I wasn't feelin' it.

When I got upstairs to the cardio room, it was empty. I was expecting to not have a machine after seeing the garage. I was somehow relieved, and hopped on the elliptical for 20 minutes. Feeling nice and warm, I went over to the treadmill and decided to kick up my pace by .2 mile/hr. It was easy. I kid you not. I felt relaxed, I ran at that new faster pace for 10 minutes, and was grinning. Results, I has them...you can bet that the next time I'm on the treadmill, I will be bumping up my pace another .2 miles/hr, I must keep challenging myself.

Speaking of challenging myself, I am two for two on Jillian Michaels after work. Damn, that video makes me sweat SO much. Sweat was literally rolling down my cheeks and dripping off my chin after the second of three sets. Sweat was pouring off my eyebrows, soaking my eyelashes, before joining the cheek river to my chin waterfall. Beads formed on the backs of my hands. My t-shirt was stuck to my back. I am so baffled how doing this 20 minute video makes me sweat more then a 30 minute run. Are the moves really that efficient? Perhaps my home is too warm on the inside? Could it be that two days of Jillian made my increase in running pace easy? I don't know.

I woke up feeling trapped/unexcited about my routine, had a great workout that proved my routine is working, and gained some new perspective. As I was driving from the gym to work, I began thinking of all the things I had allowed myself to eat in the past 9 weeks that are "cheats" or "foods that should be limited" here's the list (in no particular order):

Favorite Indian restaurant (twice)
One night of drunken debauchery
Dim Sum
Cupcake from Trophy cupcakes
Tamales
Chinese restaurant
Cake
Cinnamon roll(s)
Croissant
Cake
Candy
Greek restaurant in California
Fancy restaurant in California
Breakfast restaurant in California
Pink Door restaurant in Seattle
Dessert from Pink Door
Homemade cake
Ice cream
Gelato
Homemade cookies
Homemade brownies

How can I be so ungrateful to my routine? As I thought about this list, and it kept growing as I remembered more, I realized I'm not stuck in a boring routine, I'm not depriving myself. I am good 80% of the time. The boring, routine 80% is TOTALLY necessary to compensate for the...ah-hem...choices listed above. Wow, this list is almost embarrassing. How is it that I've lost any weight at all???? I appreciate my routine, appreciate that it keeps me on track most of time, yet allows for some wiggle room. I will remember this the next time I'm just not feelin' it, and be sure to turn my brain off.

2 comments:

  1. And speaking of wiggle room.. I think we need a new picture showing you minus 18 lbs! I mean.. congrats girl!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two more pounds (-20) and I'll post a new pic. I know, I'm sick of that one already! I'm going to update it every ten pounds down...I don't know that anything less then a 10 lb change is noticeable.

    ReplyDelete