Monday, April 19, 2010

Moving Scares

Here is the plan I laid out for myself one week ago:

Monday- Jillian Michaels shred after work
Tuesday- run Greenlake (no short cuts, 3.3 miles)
Wednesday- intervals 6 x 400 meters (may have to find a real track this time)
Thursday- run Greenlake (no short cuts)
Friday- 40 minute elliptical
Saturday- rest day
Sunday- 5 mile run

Here is what I actually did over the course of last week:

Monday- nothing
Tuesday- Jillian Michaels shred after work
Wednesday- ran Greenlake
Thursday- intervals (did my best to run 6 X 400 meters)
Friday- nothing
Saturday- walked around Greenlake (2.7 miles), 60 minute, 30-day Shred Challenge (all three levels in a row!)
Sunday- 5 mile run

My run yesterday was by far the highlight of my week/my journey so far. To be able to run for so long, so relaxed and in control has been a constant goal for myself. I always have visions of just heading out the door for a run, and having it be so effortless, yet still a workout. I'm not quite there yet, as some runs are still tough for me, but yesterday was a glimpse into the world of running for pleasure, not just exercise.

For the past two weeks I have set training schedules for myself, I have for the most part stuck to them. It is nice putting it out there for you all to see, and is sort of like making an appointment for myself. Its harder for me to skip out on it if I have already planned it/told everyone about it. Here is my plan for this week:

Monday- REST DAY!
Tuesday- Anti-Jared 60 minute elliptical challenge (who's with me?)
Wednesday- run Greenlake
Thursday- Track run 6 X 400m and Shred
Friday- Greenlake
Saturday- Moving!! (my furniture is heavy!)
Sunday- 5 mile run (again)

This week, and actually the next couple of months are going to be a huge challenge for me. This week we are moving. Instead of exercising, I'm going to want to be unpacking boxes, and spending time cleaning and cooing over my house. My routine is going to be shot, as I transfer my life from one location to another, I will essentially be in "limbo" until I give the keys to the renter. This sort of shake up has been a downfall for me in the past. Anytime I have to give up one routine and invent another, there is some downtime and my body suffers the consequences.
I'm going to try something new, I'm going to list all the things about this move that could pose a threat to my routine, and a solution for how I'm going to deal with it. In case you haven't noticed, I like plans.

Threat #1- Unpacking. All I'm going to want to do over the next week is unpack and get settled as soon as possible. Living out of boxes is maddening.
Solution- Let boyfriend unpack, MAKE TIME for scheduled exercise.

Threat #2- Pots/pans/dishes packed = lots of take out food.
Solution- Grocery shop for new house asap. Unpack kitchen stuff first. Remember take out is more expensive then cooking.

Threat #3- New neighborhood, unfamiliar running routes.
Solution- Get out and make routes FAMILIAR!


Threat #4- Anything unforeseen that makes me skip exercise, or eat poorly for an extended period of time.
Solution- Take things as they come. Make as good of choices as possible. Remember how good it feels to be on track. FIND A NEW ROUTINE ASAP.

Any suggestions/advice on routine shake-ups and how to get over them fast is much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment