Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Resolutionists Be Gone!

Well, it's official. The New Year's Resolutionists have dropped off. The "Y" was empty today. I had my pick of parking, my pick of machine, and didn't have to worry about being on my machine for longer then 30 minutes. It feels good knowing that I have outlasted a group of people that made a resolution to themselves to workout more, or whatever it was that was getting them to the gym. Perhaps for me, this time, I'm in it for the long run.

Last week was an experiment for me. I guess you could say I was testing the limits. What I discovered was at this point in my journey, what goes into my mouth matters more then anything. I exercised 6 out of 7 days last week, like I have been. Monday through Thursday, my meals were about the same as previous successful weeks. Friday and Sunday were splurge days for me, in which I ate foods that I know are "triggers" for me (crackers, chinese food, sugary carbs).

Currently my body is out of balance. I do not have the amount of muscle I normally have. It is a slippery slope, much like when you have very little money in your bank account, and you overdraft, and then you get charged for the overdraft, etc., etc. However, when you have money in the bank, your money keeps growing because of interest. There is a very fine line between constantly getting charged for things and paying, versus keeping money in the bank and earning more.

I need to build up my muscle mass so I can keep money in my "bank account." The last time I was in really good shape, I ate whatever I wanted. I controlled my weight by exercise. I am clearly not able to do this yet, as I learned by last week.

In fact, I'm pretty sure this realization could have helped me years ago, as I continued to exercise, but not eat less. I was living pay check to pay check so to speak. Now, its time to start saving up.

No comments:

Post a Comment