Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Pet Pee[ves]


The first diet I remember going on was in 5th grade. My parents had done Weight Watchers on and off, and had all the materials and "knowledge." My dad and I decided to do the Weight Watchers plan together, but at home, and not go to any meetings (aka: free). I remember my first week on the plan, I kept having to wake up in the middle of the night an pee. It was obnoxious, annoying, and clearly traumatic enough I still remember it today. My mom told me that is a sure-tell sign of losing weight.

I think I lost about 10 pounds in the 6 or 8 weeks we stuck with that plan. 10 pounds is a lot for a 10 year old. I also distinctly remember getting to a point where I wanted an apple more then a candy bar. How could I learn so much about my body at the age of 10, and 20 years later have to re-discover the same things? Maddening, but I digress...

Being woken up in the middle of the night to pee has always been my indicator that I'm on the right track and losing weight. I love sleeping. I hate being woken up. Often, I'll just lay in bed telling myself it can wait till morning, but eventually I realize I will be more comfortable if I just go. Covers off...cold air...push dog aside...stumble through the dark...find toilet...ahhh. Getting back into bed never felt so good. I am curious though, has anyone else noticed this phenomenon about their body, or is it just my DNA?

So, speaking of pee, I discovered that I have many pet peeves when it comes to gym etiquette. Today, I was happily climbing mountains on the eliptical machine, and a man two machines down from me starts making primal, cat-in-heat, heart attack sounds. I seriously had to keep looking over for fear of him keeling over at any moment. Just when I couldn't take it any more and thought he was dying, he would shout "yes!" It was nice to know that this man was simply giving it his all, however; I just find it strange that the majority of gym users are capable of giving it their all's without the soundtrack.

Next, I move on to the treadmill for my 15 minutes of run training. The only treadmill that was free was in between a sprinter and a woman talking on her cell phone. Argh. I hop on, thinking maybe if I start running hard enough, I can make crazy noises like that other guy, and the chick will show some courtesy and get off the phone. Four minutes down...trying to keep pace with the sprinter...breathing obnoxiously hard...giving cell phone girl occasional dirty looks...she's still talking. Finally, she hangs up. Now she is texting. I kid you not. I don't know about anyone else, but there is no way in hell I could get a decent workout in if I was talking on the phone and texting. Seriously, leave your phone in your car for 30 minutes. NO ONE will miss you. So I'm done with my run, and walking it out. I look over, and cell phone addict is UPDATING HER FACEBOOK PAGE! I give up. I wish I had super-vision so I could see what her status was...probably "OMG, getting my workout in today, and some annoying girl on the treadmill next to me keeps giving me dirty looks!"

Perhaps my annoyance with having to wake up in the middle of the night is making me more easily disturbed at the gym. I need to remember that waking up to pee = losing weight (for me). As long as I am focused on myself, no one can annoy me, and no one is doing anything wrong. If someone wants to throw their workout away because they can't let go of their cell phone, that is their problem. I'll just be over here, on the next treadmill, losing weight.

3 comments:

  1. LOL! those idiots never even understand the dirty looks. but i can't help myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: try microwaving an apple, i hear it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually LOL'ed for real on the apple thing...Yeah, no.

    ReplyDelete