Monday, January 4, 2010

Kick Ass Pita Bread Pizza

When I'm craving something unhealthy, this is the meal I make for myself. It does have more calories then I should eat at one meal, but it is so many less calories then getting Thai take-out or delivery pizza. When I'm in the zone of eating healthy, I like to find ways to replace things I love with healthier versions. Not to mention I love the feeling of treating myself to food that is good tasting, and gives me the illusion of cheating, when in reality I'm still eating very well.

Kick Ass Pita Bread Pizza (for one, but obviously recipe can be made larger)

Ingredients:
2 Whole wheat pita pockets (about 5" each)~ 300 calories
1/4 cup red sauce (I use Classico)~ 30 calories
1 ounce low-moisture, part skim mozzarella ~ 60 calories
2 small heads broccoli ~ 20 calories
2-3 cloves garlic
1 tsp. Olive oil ~ 40 calories
2 tbsp. Parmesan grated ~ 40 calories
Salt/pepper

Directions:
Heat oven to 400 degrees. On a pizza pan or baking pan place pita breads. Spread 1/8 C. sauce on each pita, and dot each piece with 1/2 oz. of mozzarella each. Set aside while oven heats up.

In a medium-sized sauce pan, boil 6 cups of water. Chop broccoli heads into very small pieces. When water boils, add broccoli and cook for 2-3 minutes, until tender, but not soft. As the broccoli is cooking, chop 2-3 cloves garlic. Heat a skillet on med-high heat with 1 tsp. Olive oil (just enough to cover the bottom. Drain cooked broccoli very well. Add garlic to hot oil, and cook just till garlic is beginning to turn color, and turn burner heat to medium. Add broccoli to skillet with garlic and oil, and be VERY careful. The broccoli is wet, and the oil is hot, so splatters will occur. Stir and the action dies down a bit. Cook broccoli in olive oil till well coated, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Take off heat and set aside.

Place pan with the prepared pita's in oven. Bake until cheese is melty, but not bubbly. Remove from oven and top each pita with 1/2 the broccoli mixture. Sprinkle each with 1 tbsp. parmesan, and pepper if you like.

Total calories~ 510

No comments:

Post a Comment