Thursday, January 12, 2012

249- Week of PR's

Yesterday our workout was to establish our 5 rep max for deadlifts, meaning the maximum amount we could deadlift 5 times without stopping except briefly at the bottom of the lift to touch the weights to the floor.  A few months back, we established our 3 rep max for the deadlift, and I did 205#.  I was hoping to match that for 5 reps today, but the bar was feeling extra heavy.  I started out with 3 reps at 135#, 155#, 175#, then when I picked up 195#, I just decided to go for my 5 then, and at the end, I knew that was my 5 rep max.  I went through this routine pretty quickly, and while some new folks to the gym were getting coached on technique, I decided to see what my 1 rep max is.  I haven't tried for that in months.  I knew if I did a 3 rep max of 205, that I could do 215#.  I was feeling bold and loaded on 225#.  Did it.  Then I put on 10 more pounds for 235#.  Nailed it.  I stopped there, satisfied with a new PR.  
 
Today, our workout was identical to last Thursday's workout- mini leg blaster (400m run, followed by 3 rounds of: 10 squats, 10 walking lunges, 10 jumping lunges, 10 jump squats) then try and find our 30 rep max back squat. 
 
Huh?  I said the same thing last week when I walked into the gym.  30 rep max backsquat?  Ridiculous.  Last week, I was paired up with a very fit girl that snorts when she laughs.  It used to bother me, but now it cracks me up.  This girl is nuts, she teaches boot camp classes, (like I said, she's fit) and then comes and does WOD's with us, and smokes us all.  One thing that is annoying is that she never chooses to do as much weight as she can.  Anytime we are given the option to pick a lighter weight, she does.  I was determined to make her 30 rep backsquats reflect her ablitity!  So we were warming up, and she tries to say 65# is all she can do.  I talk her into trying 75#, and then finally, 85#- which she nailed 30 reps almost effortlessly.  Then it was my turn.  I saw some ladies from the morning had hit 95#, but I wanted to do more.  So I did 105#.  The last 10 reps were tough, but I got through it. 
 
Now today, I was paired up with one of my buddies who started attending the gym at roughly the same time I did.  Come to find out we know a lot of people in common because his family business used to be the #1 competitor of a former company I worked for, and his business is one of the main suppliers of products to the bf deluxes restaurant.  The world is a small place.  He and I gossip like school girls before workouts because the food/restaurant industry is fun to gossip about.  Anyway, we were both at class last week when we did this, but he was paired with a new guy, and ended up doing his 30 reps at 65#.  He and I both knew he can do more.  I told him my 30 rep was at 105#, and he decided to try for that.  We warmed up to 105#, and then he did his 30 reps.  I decided to try for more, and loaded another 10# on, for 115#.  It was tough, but I did it.  30 reps at 115#.  Another PR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment