Monday, February 13, 2012

217- Carb Cycling


The past 10 days I spent preparing my body for this moment...carb cycling.  Its a pretty popular phrase going around these days, and we all know how I love popular things.  So for the next 2 weeks, I'll be eating 3 days of protein/veg/natural fats and 1 day of protein/veg/natural fats/simple carb/fruit.  The idea is to keep your body guessing.  The three days of high protein and veg get your metabolism working hard, and then just as it thinks it needs to start storing fat, I throw a yam and some fruit at it.  In theory, my body realizes it has everything it needs, and continues to burn fat.  Then you hit it with the protein again.
 
Yet another experiment on my body.  I will say one thing though- today was a KILLER workout at the gym (literally- it was Death-by format) and I felt stronger then I have in months.  We started by doing death by burpees, and I'm not the best when it comes to burpees.  In my head, I'm a sleek machine that crouches down, kicks her feet out behind her, hits the floor (hey, I'm gonna let gravity do as much as possible!), bounces up to my feet and jumps with a clap overhead in one smooth move.  In REALITY...I think I look like someone who accidentally hits the floor face first, proceeds to flop around on the floor like a fish out of water, before clammering up to my feet and jumping/clapping overhead.   Luckily, there are no mirrors in a CF gym.  I got through 10 full rounds of death by burpees (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10) and 8 into round 11 before I had to call it quits.  That's 63 burpees!  But I was not done with the WOD.  I got to rest for 3 minutes, and then I was on death by thrusters.  I REALLY wanted to make it to round 10, but also wanted to go heavier then the girls Rx weight (65#).  I chose to go with 75#, because hey, its Monday, and I know I can do it.  I made it through 9 rounds (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9,) or 45 thrusters.  Again, I felt really strong on these, and it was just my lungs that prevented me from being able to do them quickly.  Hopefully I'm working on that detail with my new running plan. 
 
I'm pretty sick of chewing on lean protein, but I will say one thing...I am SO lucky to have a fiance that can cook lean protein and not make it taste like sawdust.  I'm actually eating a juicy chicken breast right now.  Before I met him, such a thing never existed.  So looking forward to my re-fuel day (aka yam/fruit day)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment