Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Pesto Post

Not long ago, one thing I thought would be a challenge while eating Paleo long term was boredom. I have not been bored once in the past two months (with food that is). There is an infinite number of combination's to be had when eating only meat, vegetables, fruit, and healthy fats. I'm merely scratching the surface.

On Sunday, while in the grocery store doing my weekly shopping, I saw a plastic tub of basil leaves on sale. I immediately thought "PESTO!" Pesto is Paleo...as long as I omit the Parmesan cheese. So I grabbed the basil, and threw it into my basket.

Last night, I cooked up this gem:

All natural pork- pork chop topped with fresh basil pesto, and oven roasted carrots (skin on) on the side. I literally ate every scrap of meat off the bone. And possibly used my finger to scrape up the remaining green goo on the plate. And possibly ate a second pork chop with more pesto. The picture does no justice, because the vibrant green of the pesto was not captured.

Fresh Basil Pesto (Paleo-style)

3 small cloves garlic
2 good sized hand fulls of fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/4-1/3 cup olive oil
lemon juice
salt
pepper

In a food processor, toss in garlic, basil, almonds, a dash of salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Blend until everything is finely minced and incorporated. Turn on food processor and slowly stream in olive oil until a nice creamy pesto consistency forms. You may use less olive oil, you may use more. Add the juice from one lemon, blend more, and taste. Adjust the seasonings/ingredients to your liking. Be prepared for a shock of fresh tasting YUM.

I have big plans for this pesto...its not only good on top of pork chops, but I'm thinking a cauliflower-pesto salad would be delicious, as well as pesto stuffed chicken breasts, pesto topped turkey burgers or using some of the pesto to make a pesto salad dressing...you get the idea. The options are infinite, not to mention incredibly delicious, natural, and so easy.

With food like this, why, why, why!?!?! Did I ever treat my body so poorly before?

Oh, and there was the briefest...tiniest....segment on the news last night about a new study out showing that low-carb diets are just as effective (if not more) as low fat diets at reducing cholesterol and improving HDL's. That's because there has never been any real proof that lowering fat has a link to cholesterol (read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes)! Glad they are finally getting the real truth out there...albeit slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment