Sunday, May 30, 2010

Going Out With a Bang

My sister and brother in law were visiting me this weekend, and I took every chance possible to indulge in sugar, carbs, and other foods that will soon be out of my life. We dined at some of the best and favorite restaurants around Seattle. In fact, it seems that from Friday dinner to Sunday brunch, all we did was eat. The weather played a large factor in that...we had every intention to go for a hike, but it was 50 degrees and pouring rain.

Instead, we stuck to touristy things like Snoqualmie Falls, the outlet mall, and attempted wine tasting (ran out of time). And we ate. And I filled their heads with my new-found Paleo knowledge/plan. I'm pretty sure they were sick of hearing me talk about it, and looked at me in disbelief that I might actually go through with Paleo for more than a day as I gorged on bread, chicken and dumplings, strawberry shortcake, biscuits and gravy, bacon, cinnamon rolls, baklava, croissants, and chocolate covered strawberries.

I did manage to sneak a run in this morning, and it kicked my ass in a good way. I felt less guilty eating the brunch items listed above once I had a run under my belt.

Once my sister and brother in law were on the way back to Oregon, I hit up Whole Foods to get some provisions for the week. It had been quite awhile since I had been into a Whole Foods, as I found the location by my old house incredibly pretentious, overly crowded, and overly priced. I decided to check out the newest Whole Foods on the other end of town. I started with produce, just checking out prices, and seeing what looked good. Um...everything...and I found some items that were organic that were comparable to Safeway prices. Then, I decided to check out their meat section. Meats consumed on the Paleo diet are encouraged to be grass fed, hormone free. I thought that would mean prohibitively expensive. Nope! I found great deals on chicken, beef, and pork! I even got some preservative free/all natural bacon! Then, I headed over to the milk section to see if they had to the coconut milk creamer I researched. They did, and? It was $1.00 off!!! It was like it was meant to be. On impulse, I picked up some ground flaxseed to use in the place of flour for things like meatloaf. I got about 1/2 a weeks worth of food (maybe more) for $36.66. I was beyond surprised!

This weekend has been a great send off to the foods of my previous life...I'm on to bigger and better things.

1 comment:

  1. i'm officially ready for paleoviolet. cause it's all about me.

    ReplyDelete