Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My Breakfast Sucked

Last night I finally found the time to make up some (normally) yummy breakfast scramble. I don't know if something was wrong with it, or me, or what, but today I could not get down more than 5 bites of the stuff before nearly gagging and relying on my coffee to get me through to lunch. I can't describe the flavor, but it is a flavor that sometimes accompanies eggs that makes me HATE eggs.

Moving on to more exciting things...I would like to introduce everyone to Dr. Izumi Tabata. I'm not sure what his Ph.D., is in, but I think it might be torture? Dr. Tabata invented the Tabata interval (4 minutes of 20 seconds ALL OUT, 10 seconds of rest). These intervals are commonly used among the most elite of athletes (Tri-athletes, cyclists, runners, Crossfitters, etc.) and I think most would agree that they are no joke.

The theory: Dr. Tabata focused his research on exercise intensity rather than duration.
The experiment: In his study, he had two groups. Group A was to be performing the intervals (4 minutes of 20 seconds MAX effort, 10 seconds rest) 5 days a week for 6 weeks. Group B was to be performing regular cycling at about 70% of their max effort for one hour a day, 5 days a week, for 6 weeks. Each group had their VO2 Max and anaerobic capacities measured prior to beginning the study.
The results: Group B (5 hours of exercise per week) increased their VO2 Max by 9.5 percent. Anaerobic capacity remained unchanged. Group A (20 minutes of exercise per week) increased their VO2 Max by 14 percent and their anaerobic capacity by 28%!!!!!*

So, the next time someone tells you that you need to put in 1 hour at the gym everyday to get in shape, introduce them to Dr. Tabata.

Our workout yesterday consisted of 3 moves- medicine ball cleans, medicine ball sit-ups, and wall ball shots. For each of these moves we completed a full Tabata (four minutes, 8 20/10 intervals, however you want to see it). I can barely move today. I seriously overestimated how restful the 10 seconds would be.


*source- http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/Go-for-Broke-with-Tabata-Intervals.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment