Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Is This Forever?

Yesterday, I was catching up with a friend of mine, and she had so many questions about my new way of eating. Her questions followed in line with pretty much every other person I have told, as if everyone has a script to read off of once they hear someone has "gone Paleo." Once she grasped the concept fully (which is more then I can so for some) she asked me "...as you got to your ideal weight, can you allow other things in.. or relaxing to a point where it's part paleo, part.. other things like hummus or sugar in your coffee.. or whatever, know what I mean?"

Yes, I knew exactly what she meant. For me this whole process is about regulating my insulin levels and finding out what foods my body has adverse reactions to. Now, since I went sort of crazy and eliminated everything at once, I have no idea if my body was reacting to sugar, grains, dairy, legumes, or a combination of some of those items. I'm not interested in finding out for quite awhile. When the time comes, and I feel ready (solid, strong) I will one at a time introduce those elements into my diet and see what, if any reaction occurs. The more time I give myself without them, I'm hoping that the more pronounced the reaction will be.

If I find from all this "testing" that I can isolate gluten as my problem, do you know how excited I will be? That means sweet potatoes, hummus, quinoa, lattes, and chocolate can be welcomed back into my life! However, I am prepared to face a life of strict Paleo if it turns out that my body can not deal with grains or any of the other eliminated foods. I'm interested in whatever it is that keeps me feeling this way, and keeps me from that mind-prison of food obsession and cravings.

Oh, and funny side note- my sister sent me a text yesterday saying she had spoken to our mom the day before. My mom asked her if I was still doing that "caveman thing." It was less than a week since I had returned home. What the eff did she think, that I was just doing it for attention when I was visiting? I explained to her when I was there that this was for life. Again, with the votes of confidence! Luckily, my sister keeps up on my blog, and was like, "hell yes she is!" This is, or some version of this, is forever.

Last night I made quite possibly the best Paleo meal so far:




I washed some gorgeous Romaine leaves (inside leaves), chopped some green onion, sliced some lime and some avocado, picked up some all natural Pico de Gallo...






Turkey Tacos. I seasoned the ground turkey with fresh garlic, onion, and green bell pepper, then added some cumin, chili powder and black pepper. Ta Da!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy!! I made tacos too :) Did tortillas (i know, i know), but did chicken n onion, NO RICE NO CHEESE, and a yummy chopped spinach tomato avo + lemon S&P salad to plop on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Gosh..those look yum! I am going to have to try that this weekend!

    ReplyDelete