Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Plan and Do.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not.  But remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for."
 
 
 
I can't think of a more perfect quote to come across my path to describe my feelings about my health to date.  Its always about perspective.  Its so easy to get down on myself when I keep setting the bar higher and higher.  I have to remember how not too long ago, the bar was set where I'm at now! 
 
Lately I have been taking some things for granted that used to be things I only hoped for:
- No problems finding clothes/making outfits from my closet for work/outings
- I have more then 2 pairs of pants that I'm comfortable wearing- in fact nearly weekly I send a bag of frumpy clothes to Goodwill
- I'm able to head out for a run with other active friends and keep up
- Not terrified of cameras anymore
- I'm 100% secure in my food choices, even if it means odd looks from others
 
The above quote can also be interpreted a slightly different way, and mean roughly "don't make excuses."  One thing is certain, we always find the time/money/energy to do whatever it is we really want to do.  No matter what.  I used to spend so much time dreaming about what I didn't have, I never made the time to actually take the necessary steps to get where I wanted to be.  What did I do?  Replaced thoughts (daydreams) with planning, and words with doing.  Did I get it right away?  No.  It takes (still takes) lots of practice.  The more I practice, the better I get.  Weird. 
 
On an unrelated note, now that I'm back to running more, I am reminded of a strange phenomenon that seems to plague me.  People cheer me on/comment on my running ALL.THE.TIME.  Does this happen to anyone else?  I remember in college when I was running a lot after class, I would always run by this old man on my way out to the trail, and he would always say to me "you're going to get skinny!!"  (funny thing is I was about 30lbs lighter than I am now).  A few years ago when I took up running on my lunch break at my old job, I would frequently run by this one dude, and he would always say "great job, you're doing great!"  A few days ago, I was on my run back to work from the gym, and this woman was walking to her car, and she looked up at me and said "keep it up!"  Today, I had 2 people comment to me, one old (presumably homeless) man told me I was beautiful, and then at a stoplight, some other dude said "hey, you were here running yesterday, at this same time!"  I was like, "yup."  I must put out some "I'm dying please encourage me" vibe when I run.  Either that, or I look like someone who is out for their very first run ever, and if I don't get encouragement, it will be my last run ever.  Oh, well.  I'm sure they all mean well.  Its just weird to me.  I guess I could stop writing "cheer me on" on my forehead before I head out for a run...
 
Another unrelated note...today I did 45 chest-to-bar pull-ups with the black band over the course of the workout.  Yeah...definitely getting more comfortable with the movement.  Might be time to switch to green band (slightly smaller) soon. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment