Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Matter of Perspective

Yesterday I witnessed something interesting at Crossfit. I was not participating in the regular WOD (workout of the day), as I had one last introductory workout to finish as part of my 3 week "on-ramp" program. I started my on-ramp workout at the same time as the rest of the group starting the regular WOD. I finished before any of them, and took a seat to observe the rest of their workout. They were doing an intense benchmark workout named "DT" which is a series of 3 Olympic weight lifts, all using the same weight.

Because crossfit has to gear the workouts to all different types of bodies and fitness, within the WOD, there are varying levels. The level everyone aims to achieve, and the super fit perform at is known as Rx (prescribed). This means there is a suggested (prescribed) weight for males and females to perform the workout. I have only seen a few girls at my gym perform Rx on a regular basis. One of whom, is amazing. She has an incredibly body, great attitude, and there is no doubt upon first laying eyes on her that she is fit.

Yesterday, as I watched her perform the last bits of her workout, I could see her getting more and more frustrated. Throwing the bar down, grunting, it was becoming increasingly clear she was not happy. I've been there. I know the feeling of knowing you can do more, yet your body just doesn't seem to cooperate. I've had workouts that are hard even though I'd done the same thing with ease many times before.

I know how impossible it is to get out of your own head when you are feeling like that. But ironically, its your head that is making it worse! To me looking at her from the outside, I was nothing short of amazed. I had no idea she was having a bad workout (besides the angry bar throws). Here was this woman repeatedly throwing 105 lbs over her head with perfect form, and she was unable to see just how amazing she is. She finished the workout last, which is unheard of her, and she was PISSED. I guarantee no one thought anything less of her. I guarantee she was harder on herself then anyone could ever be.

It got me to thinking. What am I going to do the next time I find myself wrapped up in my own head, and consequently making things worse? Will I even realize when it is happening to me? I decided I never want to be so out of touch with where I am today, and how far I've come that I will beat myself up like that. I never want to be so unaware of how I could possibly be inspiring someone at the very moment I think I'm sucking my worst. After all, everything is just a matter of perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment