Thursday, October 21, 2010

If It Was Meant To Be...

Last night was my face to face interview for a new job, following up the phone interview I had over a week ago. I'm pretty excited when I get an interview, because I have seen over the last two years how infrequent they really are. I feel like I have applied for at least 100 jobs, and this is my second in-person interview in that time.

I remember applying for this job, and thought just like many other applications, I would never hear anything after the automated e-mail confirming my application. I was pleasantly surprised when I got a call back for a phone interview. I was even more pleasantly surprised when I learned that a lot of people applied for this spot, and they only called a few back for phone interviews. Then I got the call for a real interview, meaning I had beat out 95% of the competition.

Its so easy to say things like "I'm interviewing them as well" and "I have a job, so I don't need to be desperate." These things are true, however with the lack of interviews coming my way, and my apathy for my current job, its hard for me to not get worked up. Who knows when the next lifeboat out of this Titanic job will come by? But what if I take the plunge into the freezing water only to find that the lifeboat is not really a means of survival either?

This is the point where I'm supposed to take confidence in the ole' "if it was meant to be..." and I do. Really. The interview I had in California back in February is still rather fresh in my mind, and I remember a much more desperate feeling to flee this place at that time. This time around I am more calm. Now that I am months removed from the internal conflict of turning down the California job, it has become apparent on more than one occasion that everything ended up working out just fine. I know that I put my best foot forward yesterday, and if I am seen as a good fit, I will be offered the job.

If I am not offered the job, another something is in the cards for me. That's the best thing about life. You never know what is in store for you, but when you look back its as if there was a perfect map guiding you the whole way. I'll keep you posted on the result. I'm off to write my interview thank-you note so I can get it into today's mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment