This is not a post about how awesome I've been eating, or how much ass I kicked at the gym today, or how my wedding planning is finally starting to fall into place. All of those are true, but need to be put on the back burner for today while I get this off my chest. I know there are certain topics of conversation that are to be avoided due to the volatility of the subject matter, and therefore have a quick tendency to get people fired up and emotional. I generally try to avoid discussions about religion, politics, and sex when I have an unknown audience present. I'm making an exception today to discuss my concerns over some comments made by potential and/or current political persons that for whatever reason keep getting their crazy ideas/thoughts broadcast on major media forums.
I'm not looking for any fights, I just want to state a few observations:
1) If you are a free thinking, educated woman, there is no way in hell you could support the current republican party.
2) If you are a woman who values her freedom and would like to continue the fight towards gender equity, there is no way in hell you could support the current republican party.
3) If you are a religious, god fearing, moral woman, there is no way in H-E-double hockey sticks you could support the current republican party.
4) If you have a daughter, sister, wife, mother, and you love them, there is no way in hell you could support the current republican party.
5) If you are a woman, and you don't recognize that support of pro-life to the extent of repealing of Roe v. Wade means the government is taking away a major freedom as a citizen in this country, then I have no words for you.
I want to make one thing very clear. I'm not against women that are pro-life when making the decision for THEMSELF. It's your body. What you do with your body is no business of mine. Want to pierce everything and ink it up? Be my guest. Want to eat nothing but twinkies and ding-dongs everyday? Please, feel free. Want to get breast implants or an eye-lift? Sure! Everyone's doing it. What I have a problem with is women suggesting that what they feel, and what they choose to do with their body, is somehow relevant to a woman that is not them. You will never catch me telling Sally down the street that she can't get a tattoo simply because I would never get a tattoo.
But its a LIFE. Or its a fluid sack of rapidly dividing cells. To-MAY-to, To-MAH-to. What that "life" or fluid sack has the ability to do is completely change the actual life of the person supporting it. That change is not something to be taken lightly, and should never be assumed, nor in this day and age should a woman feel burdended by a potential life inside them. Being responsible for the care and well being of another human being is serious stuff. Every single woman in this country should be jumping for joy over the fact that she has access to complete control of whether or not she is ready to be responsible for another human being. Complete control. That is freedom ringing in my ears.
Instead, this freedom is being clouded by politics. How any man feels he has the right to a position on this topic has been beyond me from the time I was old enough to understand that pregnant = problem for women, not man- which was maybe around 8? 9? How the government feels they have a right to allow or disallow this choice is beyond me. The fact that more women aren't outraged by this is even MORE beyond me.
This is a legitimate rape we can stop, legitimate mind rape. Stand up for your rights. Stand up for your choices. Stand up for your freedom.
Back to regularly scheduled programming.