Monday, April 18, 2011

Insatiable

For the life of me I couldn't seem to keep my hunger at bay today. It wasn't real hunger, it was just boredom and me longing for that high feeling I used to get from eating a large meal, or eating something I shouldn't be eating. Some days I just want to say "fuck it" and eat whatever I want. There is no doubt in my mind that if I had come home tonight after the gym and there was a pizza or cake, or some other god awful food I would have eaten it. Nutrition challenge and all. That's how I felt.

Instead, I focused on what I knew I did have in the house. I focused on what I could give myself that would seem like an indulgence, but in reality, wasn't. I came home and immediately started cooking up some ground turkey tacos. I would let myself eat them on corn tortillas instead of lettuce (still gluten free, but a grain none the less) and I would top them with avocado and sour cream (dairy, but organic, high fat dairy). I was getting excited for that meal. Once things were cooking up, I went into the TV room to turn on the news, and saw 4 Reeses bunnies sitting on the coffee table next to a 85% organic chocolate bar. It was like the chocolate gods had answered my prayers for junk being in my reach!

I decided I would eat the Reeses bunnies after my dinner. Dinner was amazing. I looked at the bunnies. I unwrapped one. I bit its head off. I broke off a small square of the dark chocolate and took alternating bunny/organic chocolate bites until the bunny was gone. It was heavenly. Then the strangest thing happened. I was fully prepared to eat all 4 bunnies, but I was done. I was finally satiated! All notions of eating the remainder of the bunnies disappeared. In the past I would have just eaten them because they were there, and I could. But tonight? For whatever reason, I had given myself the green light to eat all 4, but I'm satisfied, truly satisfied with one.

I guess sometimes its ok to give yourself the green light, you may surprise yourself. I did!

1 comment:

  1. Seems like a great place to be mentally. Now that you know that you can do it, it will be easier to do it again and sail through the hungry days. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete