Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pregnant Ramblings

It's no surprise that after a few weeks of cleaning up my eating, I'm feeling pretty damn good. My nighttime heartburn episodes are a memory. Even in pregnancy my body does not like too many refined carbohydrates. It is a slight mind fu*k to watch my belly grow at what seems to me a super fast pace, yet not have the scale move. My only slight discomfort now is round ligament pain in my groin area, which is crazy because the ONLY time it hurts is when I'm rolling over from one side to the other, and when I'm picking up my legs one at a time to put on pants/leggings/skirts. It feels like I'm super sore from a workout, but when I do things like squat, or stretch my inner thighs, to try and loosen up the feeling, I can't get the discomfort to be there. It's hard to explain, but I did some googling (I know, I know) and it sounds like its pretty common for this exact time in my pregnancy, and it doesn't go away till after birth. Yay!

We did the obligatory grilling over Memorial Day weekend- chicken fajitas. Grilled chicken breast, grilled peppers/onions served on lettuce leaves with guacamole, fruit for dessert. So easy. So satisfying. So real. Just for fun, let's count the ingredients in the entire meal (not counting ingredients used twice, like salt and lime)- chicken, lime, olive oil, salt, pepper, orange and green peppers, onion, lettuce, avocado, tomato, jalepeno, pineapple, melon, strawberries. 15 total ingredients for an entire dinner and dessert. Count those ingredients on that "SmartOne" that is soooo healthy and low calorie. Yeah, that's what I thought.

It sucks that I spent so many years making this eating right thing more complicated than it had to be. I just didn't know any better. I fell for any buzz word at the time. Low-calorie? I can eat ALL the things. Low-fat? Sounds logical! High in fiber? Yes! I'll poop it out! Vegetarian? I'll try it! Gluten-free? Sounds legit. Oh, extra protein? That'll make my fat turn to muscle immediately. Sigh. Meat, vegetables, fruit, naturally occurring fats (nuts, avocado, coconut, heavy cream, olive oil). Also known as, real food. Yes, it means more preparation on my part. Yes, it means many convenience foods are a thing of the past. But the feeling? The lack of being controlled by food? Can't be beat.

This pregnancy seems to be zooming by sooo fast. I can't believe I have roughly 17 weeks left. That just seems like no time at all. I completed a registry over the weekend, wow, that was rough for me. I mean, I don't want our house to become swamped with baby stuff. I don't even want my kid to have a lot of toys (really, how many can they play with at once?). So I tried to just think of the absolute necessites. And even that was sooo much. I do think it helps not finding out the sex of our baby, because that helps stay away from accumulating too much stuff in general. Who knows. I might be in denial, in one year I could be laughing at my current naivete as I stare at my living room littered with multi-colored plastic things listening to "the wiggles." Barf.

Ok, I think this post is sufficiently representative of my brain right now- all over the place. I've got a hot gym date to head to (400m of walking lunges are on the agenda) and then some meat and vegetables to consume. Make today awesome, I plan on it.





5 comments:

  1. Just wait 'til you have a sex dream about one of The Wiggles. I did. Not gonna tell you which one of them it was...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not give in to the Wiggles! Save yourself! But yeah, your living room will become a collection of battery-operated, musical, plastic thingies. But yourself lots of batteries and a tiny screwdriver and embrace it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually dig the wiggles over yo gabba gabba. My boys are past that stage thankfully. LOL

    ReplyDelete