Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Rockin' PR

Sunday night per my normal routine I checked to see what Monday's workout would be.  I saw three familiar words- Shot Ain't Dead.  We have creative workout namers.  I remembered that workout vividly, like it was just a few weeks ago.  I remember how much it sucked.  I looked back through my food/exercise log and was surprised to see that it was actually all the way back in January that we did it!  The workout is a pyramid, (1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1) of thrusters (65#), star jumps, seated Russian twists (15#).  My time was 26:15, ugh, a long grind.  My only goal for the day was to beat that time. 

I got to the gym, and was surprised by the sheer size of the noon class today- 14 people! I think that's the most I'd ever seen. I started to get nervous. You'd think after 1.5 years of CrossFit the nerves would go away, right? Ha. Every workout is a chance to push yourself to new limits. Sometimes there is a chance to PR. The nerves will never go away. I did a quick look on the results board to see what the 6am times were. There is one girl who I am always neck and neck with, on the majority of WOD's we finish within seconds of each other (sometimes she wins, sometimes I win). We are a pretty good match. Her time today? 19:20 Rx. What? Holy crap. I started to get even MORE nervous because a) I wanted to get somewhere close to her time, but b) that would mean a 7 minute PR. That just seemed nuts to me.
We warmed up, I made sure to make one last trip to the bathroom, I loaded up my bar, staked out my spot and promised myself to give it everything I had. A two or three minute PR would be great.
I was positioned facing cop trainer, and I tried to keep pace with him as long as I could. We were matched rep for rep until about round 5 or so. When I got to my 10 round, I saw the clock was at 9 minutes and change. Not only was I on track to PR, I was on track to get within striking distance of the 19:20 time of my buddy. I forced myself to keep moving. It hurt. I felt like I was going to puke. I had to take way more breaks on the way down through the reps then when I was going up. Then suddenly, it was like the reps were flying by, but the clock wasn't moving.
Cop trainer finished around 15 minutes or so, and I heard him say to me "sub 20 Violet" meaning that was actually a possibility! I pushed. I threw the weight down after my last Russian twist, looked at the clock, and saw the most glorious thing- 19:48. Over (6) SIX minute PR. 6:33 to be exact.
As I was thinking about typing this post up, it seemed a little familiar, and I looked back into the archives around January 24th to see that I wrote a post about the first time we did this HERE. It's pretty interesting to go back to three months ago, and see that I was very happy with a 26 minute time! Now I think I must have stopped for a nap sometime during the last time we did this workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment