Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Passing the Test

I walked into the the breakroom/kitchen this morning to grab my normal 6-pack of water, and there was a box of donuts on the counter. I immediately went over, looked at the options, and grabbed one. After a second of recognition into what I was doing, I put it down, because, WTF, I don't eat donuts, AND WTF, I don't eat until after my noontime workout. Everyday is a fight to overcome past habits. Everyday I get better at it.

That is all I can ask of myself, that each day I try my very best to treat my body right. Some days will be better then others. I am a firm believer that as long as my solid healthy efforts outweigh my times of distraction or indulgence, I will continue to see progress. Yesterday I did a push-up on my toes with 60# resting on my back. I didn't even know I was capable of that. Then I thought of all the times in recent history that pushed myself. Then I thought about how many times there were donuts sitting in the kitchen at work and I passed them up. My body continues to surprise me because I keep surprising myself.

So, here I sit, sipping my bitter BCAA's rather than feeling like crap after eating a nutrient-void donut because I have goals. I have unassisted pull-ups to master, heavy deadlifts and squats to maintain, deltoids to pop out, hip bones to discover (collar bones are found, BTW) and I am going to try really hard to never feel like there was something else I could have done when tested.

Being tested comes in many forms for me. A few examples: I can be literally tested at the gym whenever I'm trying to PR on a lift or workout, I can be literally tested with food when there are donuts or some other tempting item in front of me and I have the choice to partake or pass. I can figuratively be tested when I go for a run with girlfriends, or when I need to look good in an outfit for a party, or a swimsuit. Those are the times when I'm going to run through my life choices for the past few weeks/months/years, and think to myself, "have I done all that I could?"

Everytime I want that answer to be a resounding "YES."




2 comments:

  1. Nice job. I am currently take a cake decorating class and people ask how I can bake and not eat the cakes, A) I give the cakes away immediately and B) I'm enjoying my scale moving more than eating a slice of cake.

    Donuts...thats a big temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be able to say "yes" to those things too.

    ReplyDelete