Friday, May 20, 2011

Weighs Are Back

Yesterday was my first real workout with weights in over 6 weeks.  It was HARD.  It felt like my first day at CrossFit all over again.  I forgot how many smaller muscles are involved in getting a bar off the ground and to your shoulders, and then above head.  I forgot how easily weights can take your breath away.  I forgot how much I want to scream profanities at the weights because they are so damn heavy.  I forgot how much bodily control it takes to correctly perform a movement.  Most importantly, I forgot how badass I felt after completing a tough weight workout.
 
To honor the delivery of new bumper plates (softish weight plates that go on the ends of the bar and can be dropped on the mats) our trainer decided that a 20 minute as many rounds as possible (AMRAP) was fitting.  I was still sore from Monday, and I had to do what?!  5 squat thrusters, 7 hang cleans, 10 sumo-deadlift high pulls = one round.  I was lifting 65#, and I completed 6.5 rounds.  I collapsed on the mat afterwards, my wrists aching like crazy (those small muscles I was mentioning) and proceeded to make my sweat angel.  It was a good one, I should've snapped a photo.  Next time.
 
About 20 minutes later, I felt pretty damn good.  My arms were weak and shaky as I drove home.  I felt that addictive exercise induced endorphine rush that makes it all worth it.  I'm so happy to have weights back.  Even though there are going to be workouts where I feel like its day one all over again, I will get back to where I was, and farther. 

No comments:

Post a Comment