Friday, November 25, 2011

271- Post Thanksgiving Thoughts

This Thanksgiving was an experiment for me.  I did not use the holiday as an excuse to let loose and eat anything and everything I wanted.  Working with the bf deluxe, we carefully planned a meal.  The meal was real foods- grilled turkey, lots of vegetables, and a pumpkin pie made with a gluten free crust and a filling with no refined sugar, only a little grade B maple syrup.  


This year, Thanksgiving was just another meal.  I ate one plate.  I didn't have seconds of anything. I was satisfied, not overly stuffed.  In all honesty, there was a twinge of missing out.  I wondered if I'm ever going to be able to eat a homemade roll again, or some of my mom's stuffing, or a piece of apple pie.  I know right now, this year, having any of those items is not possible.  I would not trade the way I feel, the current ability to look at any of the aforementioned items and BE ABLE to refuse them, or my shrinking body for any food of the past.


Today, the day after Thanksgiving, with hardly any leftovers in the fridge, my life as far as eating and thoughts about food remained how they have been for the past 3 months- food is not ruling me.  I did not wake up and jump out of bed excited to eat leftovers (yes, there was a time in my life when food would get me out of bed).  Thanksgiving was just another day.  The things that made it different from any other day were the break from work, and family/friends joining us for dinner.  The food was secondary.  That's how holidays should be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment