Friday, September 23, 2011

334- More on Pacing Myself


Yesterday I wrote about how my mindset is more "ultra-marathon" then "5K."  I'm focused, yet relaxed.  I'm working hard, yet know I have a long way to go still.  I have a goal, but just by the sheer nature of the goal, I can not be in a rush to get there or else I'd never make it. 
 
This new mindset/peace of mind did not come to me all at once.  Who would have thought that spraining my ankle would lead to such sweeping changes in my thoughts about my ways of eating?  At first I didn't realize how my ankle injury and my challenge of giving up sugar/grains/legumes for a year were related.  The other day as I was getting ready to head to the new gym at lunch, I started thinking about my ankle.  I started to think about where I was before the injury, and where I'm at now as far as my work capacity. There was a sort of lightbulb moment where I thought "there is no reason for me to worry about this anymore.  I'll get to where I was before eventually (and more), and there isn't anything I can do to speed up the process."  Then I thought of how far it had come over the past few weeks, and I was able to relax and move on. 
 
This theme washed over into my year long challenge a few days later as I was thinking "as long as I keep doing the right thing and avoiding foods that cause my blood sugar to spike, I'll be fine."  I'm not under any self-imposed deadlines to fit into a pair of jeans by the new year, or lose X pounds by my birthday.  I'm just putting one foot in front of the other, and leaving the rest up to its natural course.  What could be more paleo then that?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment